I had chicken parmesan over the weekend atop a mound of delicious spaghetti marinara. Incredibly delicious. I was wondering if there is a way to transform the original into a smaller bite size version. All the flavor with less of the heavy stuff. Let me know what you think!
CHICKEN PARMESAN MINI-MEATBALLS
Makes: 48 poppers
Active Time: 15 min.
Total Time: 30 min.
• 1 lb ground chicken breast
• 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
• 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
• 3 shallot, chopped
• ½ small onion, grated
• 2 Tbsp + 1 cup marinara sauce (divided)
• ½ Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
• 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
• 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
• ½ tsp kosher salt
• ½ tsp fresh cracked black pepper
• 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
• 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Italian blend shredded cheese
*Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
*Set aside 1 cup marinara and shredded Italian cheese.
*In a large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Mix well, do not over mix or you will have tough meatballs. Using a 1 tablespoon scoop, portion out meat mixture and place on baking sheet. After all meatballs have been scooped onto tray, roll into balls. TIP: If you lightly wet your hands the meatballs will form better and crack less.
*Bake for 16-18 minutes until lightly browned.
*Turn oven to broil.
*Drizzle a spoonful of marinara over each meatball. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
*Broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.