Umm, yum. I love angel food cake. Its super light and airy – less dense in my stomach – so the treat without the super filling feeling. This is a great easy recipe that eliminates the need for a store bought box to assist! Feel free to add whatever topping you want. I like them plain, with fruit, fruit with whipped cream, chocolate buttercream – the possibilities are endless.
1 1/2 cups egg whites
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
1. Crack eggs and save egg whites. Bring to room temperature (it takes about a half hour).
2. Stir together flour and powdered sugar. Set aside.
3. Add the salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla to the egg whites and beat until soft peaks form.
4. Add the sugar slowly, beating on high until high, glossy peaks form.
5. Pour in the flour mixture and fold in slowly with a rubber spatula.
6. Spoon into an un-greased pan.
7. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes if you’re making a cake, or about 15 if you’re making cupcakes.
8. They’re ready when the top is slightly browned and appears dry.