A big shout out to Mindi with IsaveA2Z.com. She has nailed the healthier version of a classic. She has these treats coming in as 3 WW points. I needed a fun dessert to bring to a girls night and this seems so fresh, bright and delicious!
Lite Lemon Bars
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
• 1⅓ cups of all purpose flour
• 5 tablespoons of packed light brown sugar
• 8 tablespoons of regular cold butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
• 4 large eggs
• ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
• 1½ cups of powdered sugar, divided in two
• ¾ cup of fresh lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons of lemon zest (optional – don’t add for a less tart taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. To make the crust: Mix the flour and brown sugar in a food processor until it is fully blended.
3. Add the butter pieces to the flour mixture and pulse the food processor until the butter is cut into tiny, pea-sized pieces and the dough looks lumpy.
4. Pour crust mixture evenly into an un-greased 9×13 baking dish. Press the crust down, with a spatula, to make it packed.
5. Bake crust in oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
6. While the crust is baking, make your lemon topping:
7. In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs until they are well blended.
8. Add the vanilla extract and ¾ cup of the powdered sugar, then mix well.
9. Add the lemon juice and the rest of the powdered sugar. Mix until the powdered sugar is completely dissolved and then add the lemon zest.
10. As soon as the crust is finished, take it out of the oven and reduce the temperature to 300.
11. Immediately pour your lemon topping over the hot crust and continue to bake for 30 minutes.
12. Cool and cut into 24 bars.
The crust HAS TO BE HOT when you pour the lemon topping on it. You can sprinkle a little bit of powdered sugar on top as well, but that’s optional.
Susy Sedano is a Content Producer at Digital Wellness, a fitness enthusiast and an avid cook of healthy meals. She prides herself on creating healthy dishes for family and friends, and is always on the hunt for new workouts and recipes! Despite her hectic non-stop work and fitness schedules, she is a “girl’s girl” and a student of life!
Want more from me? Find me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.