Over the next few days in the lead up to the most dangerous eating holiday of the year, Eat.Fit.Fuel. will be dedicating a whole lot of focus to Thanksgiving recipes that will keep your fitness goals on track and avoid the adding of extra notches on your belt.
And is there a better way to get things cooking than with a starter, or appetizer if you want to be fancy! This Spicy Kale Salad is a perfect way to get things going on that special Thursday. The chillies will activate your metabolism and we all know the superfood status of kale. Try it out for a delicious new twist on the holiday classics.
- 20 large leaves kale, ribs removed, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese, plus more for serving
- Pinch red chile flakes
- Salt (optional)
- 1 slice sourdough bread, toasted and broken into bread crumbs
- Place kale in a medium bowl.
- In a mortar (I used a food processor), combine garlic and olive oil until garlic is fully smashed. Add lemon juice, cheese, and chile flakes, and season to taste with salt (no more than a pinch is needed).
- Pour dressing over kale and toss to fully coat leaves. Top each serving of salad with breadcrumbs and a smidgen of cheese.
**Serve within an hour after dressing it to avoid wilting leaves.