Grilled vegetables are the best kind of vegetables! Especially in the summer, when cooking outside becomes common place and the weather is warm. Everything just seems to taste better and fresher.
- 6 whole zucchini – quartered, lengthwise (or thin planks if your knife skills are adequate)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Juice and zest from 3 whole lemons
- 10 fresh basil leaves – chiffonade (long, thin slices)
- Place the zucchini spears in a 1-gallon plastic resealable bag.
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the lemon zest and the juice of two lemons.
- Seal the bag and shake or toss until the zucchini is completely coated.
- Let marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prepare the grill to medium heat and grill the zucchini spears on all three sides until tender.
- Add the rest of the lemon zest, half the basil and 1 tablespoon Kosher salt on the cutting board. Using the side of the knife, smash mixture together until combined.
- Sprinkle the lemon salt over the plate of grilled zucchini, top with remaining basil and serve.