I know, I know, more kale! This is a great way to utilized the most popular green we’ve had in years. I have never been a fan of traditional potato salad since I have an aversion to mayonnaise. It just does not work for me. I usually create potato salads, with a vinegar / mustard base dressing and add in lots of different colorful vegetables. It always turns out great. I found this recipe from Red Moon Farm when searching for different options for the upcoming holiday. In this recipe also, I think I will add yellow and red bell peppers to brighten up the salad. I hope you like this one!
KALE PESTO POTATO SALAD
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 garlic clove
2 bunches kale, stems removed
1/4 c walnuts
1/4 c parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 t red pepper
1/4 c olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2.5 lb potatoes
2 or 3 extra small, mild onions, thinly sliced
1 carton peas
2 T red wine vinegar
1/3 c low sodium chicken broth + 3 T
• Put the potatoes in a pot, just covered with cold salted water. Place on the stove to boil, and cook until just tender throughout. Drain the potatoes and cover with a towel, allowing them to steam for 10 minutes or so.
• Meanwhile, bring a second pot of water to boil and blanch the kale and then the peas, just until they turn bright green. Rinse in cold water to halt the cooking process. Drain well. You’ll want to wring all the water out of the kale using your hands, then spread out on a clean towel to continue draining.
• When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut into bite size pieces. Gently toss with the onions, peas, red wine vinegar, and 3 tablespoons chicken broth. Set aside, allowing the potatoes to soak up the liquid.
• In a food processor, combine all the pesto ingredients and process until a fine paste forms. Add the remaining chicken broth (1/3 cup) and mix in to the pesto.
• Add the pesto to the potatoes and gently toss to combine. Best served immediately, while warm, or if needed, refrigerate until ready to serve.
Susy Sedano is a Content Producer at Digital Wellness, a fitness enthusiast and an avid cook of healthy meals. She prides herself on creating healthy dishes for family and friends, and is always on the hunt for new workouts and recipes! Despite her hectic non-stop work and fitness schedules, she is a “girl’s girl” and a student of life!
Want more from me? Find me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.