Cities all over the U.S. are spouting up more and more hipster-havens and with it has come some interesting developments in food and drinks. But for this drink recipe, you don’t need a beard or a top-knot to lap up the benefits. Spelled out by the well-known Dr. Josh Axe, the Food Is Medicine blogger, the Switchel has a myriad of health benefits that make suffering through the line of wannabe-trendsetters at the bar worth it.
The Switchel Recipe: Serves 4
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- at least 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups water or seltzer water
Take all the ingredients and combine them in a jug (or mason jar!) with a lid. Shake the jug to mix then let it sit for up to 24 hours. Just make sure to stir it well before serving.
What are the health benefits?
It’s not just a cool drink to order, but actually can help your gut!
- Ease inflammation – Ginger is a natural inflammation reducer, which also means it can act as a pain killer.
- Electrolyte Boost – maple syrup and apple cinnamon vinegar are natural sources of potassium electrolytes, which can help regulate your body’s function and use of electrolytes without resorting to sugary processed options like Gatorade
- Balance Your Body’s pH Levels – Apple cider vinegar is a great way to regulate your body’s pH levels and even detox your body.
- Immune System Boost – Ginger is at it again, a natural remedy for boosting your immune system. Ginger root can also help to break down the toxins in your body, yet again boosting your immune system.
- Safety from Sugar – Using all-natural real maple syrup is a fantastic and healthy way to avoid sugar. Maple syrup is from tree sap, a natural sweetener, meaning you don’t get any of the processed and often chemically imitated white stuff… sugar.