It wouldn’t be fall if we didn’t have a few pumpkin recipes on the menu. However, with the sensationalization Pumpkin Spice, too many pumpkin recipes are just sweets and cakes. Pumpkin can actually be a great ingredient for some hearty and healthy savory recipes as well, and here is one of our favorites!
- 1 medium onion (diced and sautéed before adding to mixture)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen organic corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup fine dry oat crumbs (quickly blitz oats in a blender)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
After sautéing the onions, add all ingredients into a bowl (with onions) and gently mix them by hand until all ingredients are integrated. Then separate the mixture into 6 uniform (as much as can be) patties. I prefer to use a BBQ, but you can also do them in a skillet (approx. 4 minutes on either side). Once cooked, top with tomatillo salsa and avocado. Next and finally, place the patty between a whole grain bun, OR, if you’re feeling frisky, try using a heated flour tortilla as a bun. Easy, delicious, and autumn-style festiveness!