I grew up eating Huevos Rancheros on Christmas morning, roasting chillies on an open fire instead of chestnuts, all thanks to my killer-cook stepfather. So don’t be surprised if I add a little Southwest or Hispanic flavor to any holiday recipes. And this idea for a holiday side dish is no exception. The Zucchini & Black Bean Skillet from the good people at ReadySetEat, is a great addition to any colorful holiday meal. It has heart healthy beans, colorful veg, and a hint of spiciness that adds originality to your next family gathering.
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-1/2 cups quartered lengthwise, sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper (I used 1/4 cup yellow, 1/4 cup red)
- 1 can Organic Low Sodium Black Beans (rinse before use)
- 1 can Hunt’s® Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup instant white rice, uncooked (you can use brown rice, expect longer cook time)
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- Heat oil in large skillet (or pan or wok) over medium heat.
- Add zucchini and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, undrained tomatoes and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Add rice; stir well.
- Cover; remove from heat and let stand 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese.