What a great idea! I like going to the spa – who doesn’t, but sometimes the schlepping there and back diminishes all the good of the relaxation – at least for me living in a large metropolis. Here is a fun idea that I found from Skin Care by Donna!
SPA DAY AT HOME
Skin and Hair
1. Wash your face.
Use a gentle cleanser that is designed for your skin type. ( or try an oatmeal, or honey soap.) Afterward, use a nice toner.
2. Take a shower
Shampoo and condition your hair. You may even want to use a deep conditioner to moisturize your hair thoroughly. Use a scented body wash (Bath And Body Works is a good brand for body wash) to make your skin feel soft and renewed. Scrub your skin with a loofah to exfoliate. Shave your legs and underarms while you are in there too.
3. Take a bath.
Fill up your tub with warm water (make sure that it is not too hot, and not too cold) and remember to keep in mind that the water will cool down after you’ve been in the bath for a while, so adjust the temperature of the water accordingly. Then, and add some soothing, scented bubble bath to the water, or maybe some essential oils. For an extra spa touch, you could get some pretty flowers and let them float on top of the water. Some stores sell fake floating flowers that smell amazing. You could also light some aromatherapy (or regular) candles and place them in your bathroom and around the bathtub for extra relaxation. As a safer alternative, you could also use battery-operated candles, which flicker softly without a flame. Get in with your hair up in a bun or ponytail. Lay your head down and rest your neck on a comfy bath pillow. Listen to some music while you’re there, if you like. Stay in for around 30 minutes. Then, get out and put on a soft bath robe and comfortable slippers. When you get out, spray yourself with a quick mist of rosewater. It will open your pores and leave you smelling like a rose! Rosewater is extremely refreshing and can be mixed with witch hazel for a natural toner.
4. Pluck your eyebrows.
The warm water will have opened up your pores, making it easier and less painful for you to do this.
5. Do a steam facial.
Boil water and pour into a large bowl or your bathroom sink. Add some essential oils or a few sprigs of mint to the water for a little bit of extra flair. Drape a towel over your head and sit with your head over the steaming water. Stay there for about 5-10 minutes. Listen to music while doing this so it’s not as boring.
6. Use a face mask.
Splash your face with warm water then pat it dry. Take out your face mask and apply according to the instructions on the bottle. You can make your own face maskif you want to. Read a magazine to keep yourself entertained while the mask works its magic, or cover your eyes with cucumber slices and just listen to music. After about ten minutes, take the mask off and rinse your face. Then, moisturize with a non-scented, oil-free moisturizer.
7. Moisturize your body.
Organic virgin coconut oil or organic body lotions are the best products for your skin. While still damp from your bath or shower, liberally apply your moisturizer from your feet to your neck.
1. Brush your teeth. A very simple and easy thing to do, yet it adds so much to your spa day! Don’t forget to floss afterwards.
2. Use mouthwash. Swish around some minty or fruity mouthwash in your mouth and then spit it out. It will leave you with fresh breath and a clean-feeling mouth.
3. Whiten your teeth.Use whitening strips to give yourself a nice smile.
1. Give yourself a pedicure.Fill a large bowl with warm water and add foot salt. Leave your feet in there for five minutes, then take them out and dry them. Remove any nail polish you have had on your toenails and re-paint them a color of your choice. Next, rub on some foot cream. Then, take four cotton balls and split each one in half (this will make them fit perfectly in between your toes). Put a dab of lotion mixed with your favorite essential oil onto each cotton ball half and put between your toes. Keep them in about thirty minutes – this is perfect for tired feet or after a long day walking in flip flops! If you want, use a calming foot bath afterward.
2. Give yourself a manicure. Rub some hand lotion on your hands. Give yourself a hand massage and stretch your fingers. Push back your cuticles and cut your nails (if they need cutting). Then, use a sweet-smelling hand scrub to get rid of any rough skin. When you’re done, go ahead and paint your nails a color of your choice and let them dry to prevent chips or scratches in the polish. To add extra shine, apply a top coat.
1. Get comfortable. Turn off the lights and light some scented, relaxing candles (or use the battery-operated ones again). Put on your pajamas or other comfortable clothes. Make yourself a sundaewith your favourite flavor of ice cream and yummy toppings such as chocolate, caramel, nuts, cookies, brownie chunks, whip cream, cherries, etc. If you want to make something healthier, cut up some fruits such as strawberries, peaches, apples, pears, grapes, kiwis, etc., and munch on those instead. Choose whatever would make you feel the best and the most relaxed. Take your snack and sit down on the couch.
2. Put on a movie and relax. As you watch the movie, eat your snack. When the movie is done, turn off the TV, blow out the candles, brush your teeth one more time, and head up to bed. Turn a lamp on and read a book for about an hour or so. When you’re done, turn off the lamp, and think happy thoughts until you go to sleep.
• Before beginning your spa, spray your room or bathroom with a lavender scent.
• The benefits and joy you experience during your at home spa day will be more colored by your desire and your intentions than any fancy, expensive products you can buy. Be mindful, set your intentions and gradually transition in to or out of your work day.
• Always plan ahead of time.
• Make sure no one disturbs you. Tell everyone that you will be busy and that you don’t want to be bothered. Turn off your phone, your TV, and your computer.
• Be nice to yourself. These are your precious rejuvenating moments. Take your time and don’t rush anything. The whole point of this is to relax.
• Pleasant scents from incense or candles can add to the relaxing effect.
• The most important part is to slow down and enjoy the time. Evenings before bed are best as the relaxation carries over to your sleep time.
• While doing your spa, drink spa cucumber water to refresh yourself.
• It’s really easy to make some facials homemade, so look for some recipes online.
• Try exfoliating your lips with sugar and lemon juice.
Susy Sedano is a Content Producer at Digital Wellness, a fitness enthusiast and an avid cook of healthy meals. She prides herself on creating healthy dishes for family and friends, and is always on the hunt for new workouts and recipes! Despite her hectic non-stop work and fitness schedules, she is a “girl’s girl” and a student of life!
Want more from me? Find me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.