BLACK BEAN AND SWEET POTATO SOUP
This soup tastes best when made at least one-day in advance to give the flavors time to come together.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium – diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes – chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1-16 oz. jar chunky salsa
- 1-15 oz. can black beans – drained
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Toppings: kale, cilantro, red onion and/or avocado
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the onions and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Continue cooking until onion is translucent.
- Add sweet potato, chili powder, cinnamon and cumin. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add salsa, stock and water. Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add black beans cook for 10 minutes – or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve with fresh kale, cilantro, red onion and/or avocado.
Continue on to page 3 for the Butternut Squash and Lentil soup recipe…