Traditional pesto is delicious and despite swapping out some of the basil for some healthy kale and replacing the more expensive pine nuts for walnuts… this version is just as delectable! It looks beautiful and is healthy to boot!
- 4 cups kale leaves, stems removed
- 10 basil leaves
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 lb. whole wheat pasta
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined. Set aside.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle olive oil over the grape tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to blister. Remove from oven, set aside.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta according to direction on package. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the pasta.
- Mix pasta with desired amount of pesto and toss to combine. Add in some pasta water to thin the sauce.
- Add in blistered tomatoes and toss to combine.
- Serve warm, top with more parmesan cheese.