Have you ever tried the spaghetti squash as spaghetti? It is a game changer. I’m used to doing it with a red sauce and sautéing mushrooms, onions, spinach and bell peppers to the sauce. This version is more decadent and still won’t break your caloric bank! The original recipe called for more cheese and low-fat Greek yogurt, I cut the cheeses in half – you could definitely add the original amount back in, that’s up to you! My tweaks to the recipe lowered the calories by 110 and cut the fat in half! Enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
Makes 2 Serving
1 medium spaghetti squash
3/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
3 tablespoons unsweetened low-fat milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Parsley, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Pierce the spaghetti squash with a knife to allow steam to release and microwave for 5 to 10 minutes. Or bake the squash in the oven at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until squash is soft.
- Cut the squash in half and discard the seeds. Use a fork to gently scrape the spaghetti strands into the center of each half of the spaghetti squash, and move to a large bowl.
- Combine the yogurt, cottage cheese, almond milk, Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl with spaghetti squash strands and mix until coated. Divide the sauced spaghetti squash into the two halves of the squash. Top with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Susy Sedano is a Content Producer, a fitness enthusiast and an avid cook of healthy meals. She prides herself on creating healthy dishes for family and friends, and is always on the hunt for new workouts and recipes! Despite her hectic non-stop work and fitness schedules, she is a “girl’s girl” and a student of life!
Want more from me? Find me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.