These are the coolest way to start your day prepared. Not only delicious, but extremely easy and they can be made healthier. You can use all egg whites, use whole wheat flour, and use greek yogurt instead of sour cream. I am going to put the healthy suggestions in the recipe below. Enjoy these!
3 cups flour – or use whole wheat or almond flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
7 eggs – or use 6 egg whites + 1 egg
1 ¼ cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup sour cream – or use greek yogurt
1 cup bacon, cooked and chopped – use turkey bacon, low sodium
1 cup green onion, chopped
1 ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided – use 1/2 the amount of cheese
6 cup large muffin tin
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (175˚C). Grease a 6 cup large muffin tin.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together 1 egg, buttermilk, melted butter, and sour cream.
4. To the dry ingredients, fold in the wet ingredients, cooked bacon, green onion and 1 ¼ cup of the cheddar cheese until just incorporated.
5. Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cup of a prepared large muffin tin with one large scoop.
6. Using a spoon, create a well in each of the scoops, pressing the batter up against the side of the pan, making sure it is deep enough to hold an egg.
7. Crack an egg into each of the wells of batter.
8. Using two spoons, drop small scoops of batter, first around the outside of the egg, building up the outer edge of the muffin and sealing in the egg whites and yolk, and finally over the top to cover the yolk. Be careful not to apply too much pressure while dropping above the yolk or it may break.
9. Top each muffin with remaining ¼ cup of cheddar cheese.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes
11. Remove from oven and allow to set 5 minutes before removing from pan.
12. Best served warm. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Susy Sedano is a Content Producer, a fitness enthusiast and an avid cook of healthy meals. She prides herself on creating healthy dishes for family and friends, and is always on the hunt for new workouts and recipes! Despite her hectic non-stop work and fitness schedules, she is a “girl’s girl” and a student of life!
Want more from me? Find me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.