Here is how I would present this treat to my friends and family. This is a delicious new dessert / sweet treat that not only looks yummy, and it is super tasty too! Now I will tell you why to present them like that. These are gluten free, dairy free, “ice cream” sandwiches. This recipe is a game changer and will knock your socks off! I found this on Fork & Beans – I suggest checking them out for a new take on some standard recipes. Please let us know what you think!!
HEALTHY BANANA “ICE CREAM” COOKIE SANDWICHES
For the Banana Ice Cream:
• 3 ripe bananas
• 1 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
• 2 tsp. maple syrup (optional, the bananas provide a lot of sweetness as is)
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Peanut Butter Cookies:
• ½ c. peanut butter, smooth or chunky (almond or sun butter works too)
• ½ c. white beans, rinsed and drained
• ½ c. gluten-free old-fashioned oats
• 2 Tbsp. applesauce
• 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• ½ tsp. baking soda
• ¼ tsp. salt
• ⅓ c. non-dairy chocolate chips (plus more for rolling) – optional
To make the banana ice cream
1. Line a small rectangular dish (I used a 6×4 sized dish) with parchment paper. Feel free to use whatever size or dish you have (you can even use a round pan). Just know that the bigger you use, the thinner the ice cream filling is vs. the small the pan, the thicker the slices.
2. Blend everything up in a high-speed blender until smooth. Place into the dish and freeze until set (approximately 2+ hours).
To make the cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In food processor blend everything (except the chocolate chips) together smooth, yet thick enough to form into a dough. Fold in chocolate chips.
3. Roll about 1 Tbsp. of dough into a ball between hands and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape with your hands by gently flattening dough down into 2″ diameter circles. These will not spread while baking so it’s important to shape them prior to.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly brown along the edges and allow to cool on the baking sheet. Transfer to the freezer until ready to assemble.
1. Take a 2″ circle biscuit cutter and make cut-outs in the dish holding the banana ice cream. Place in between 2 frozen cookies (optional: coat with non-dairy chocolate chips) and freeze again until fully set.
Susy Sedano is a Content Producer at Digital Wellness, a fitness enthusiast and an avid cook of healthy meals. She prides herself on creating healthy dishes for family and friends, and is always on the hunt for new workouts and recipes! Despite her hectic non-stop work and fitness schedules, she is a “girl’s girl” and a student of life!
Want more from me? Find me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.