I know I have mentioned in the past on of my most favorite food blogs is Pinch of Yum. Their recipes are totally delicious and the photography makes you want to make just about everything! This is one of my go to favorites. So, a big thank you to Lindsay and Bjork for this one!
HEALTHY BLACK BEAN TOSTADAS with CILANTRO SAUCE
Author: Pinch of Yum
• 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more for spicy)
• salt and olive oil
• 3-4 tomatoes, chopped
• 1 medium avocado, cubed
• 2 cups shredded lettuce
• ⅔ cup plain yogurt, Greek yogurt, or sour cream
• ½ cup packed cilantro leaves (more to taste)
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 4-6 flour tortillas
1. Preheat the broiler. Puree the black beans, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne in a blender or food processor, adding a tablespoon of oil (or water) at a time to help the mixture move. I pureed for a minute or two but still left some texture.
2. In a food processor or blender, puree the cilantro, yogurt, garlic, and salt, adjusting the seasoning with more cilantro/salt/yogurt to your tastes.
3. Place tortillas in the oven directly on the rack, taking care that the edges are supported (otherwise they will bend through the cracks and it will be bent in a funny shape). Let the tortillas bake for 3-5 minutes on both sides until they are browned and crispy.
4. Top the crispy tortillas with black beans, tomatoes, avocados, and lettuce. Drizzle with cilantro sauce.
Holding the tostadas while you spread the bean mixture helps them not to break apart. Other topping ideas: Cotija cheese, lime wedges, salsa, ranch dressing (just saying), or roasted corn or peppers.