Don’t let your belly shake like a bowl full of jelly this Christmas. Use our guide to indulge and burn it off. Whether you ice skate, sled or just start dancing around, be sure to busta move!
Crunching the Numbers
Everyone burns calories a little differently. The values below are averages based on a 155-pound person.
- 6 stuffed mushrooms = 400 calories = 45 minutes ice hockey
- 6 cheese puffs = 365 calories = 30 minutes cross-country skiing
- 6 ounces prime rib = 529 calories = 1 hour, 15 minutes shoveling snow
- 6 ounces baked ham = 250 calories = 30 minutes chopping wood
- 1 cup au gratin potatoes = 323 calories = 2 hours yoga
- 1 cup homemade mac and cheese = 450 calories = 40 minutes running at 6 mph
- 12 fluid ounces eggnog = 515 calories = 3 hours of housecleaning
- 12 fluid ounces peppermint latte = 475 calories = 1 hour snowshoeing
- 5 sugar cookies = 425 calories = 1 hour snowboarding
- 1 cinnamon bun (frosted) = 380 calories = 45 minutes sledding
- 1 slice fruitcake = 200 calories = 30 minutes ice skating
Don’t let your holiday spirit turn “bah, humbug.” Use these tips to help make the most of your holiday favorites.
- Don’t skip the fruit and veggies – save calories by incorporating both into all holiday meals.
- Allow yourself a few small “cheats” here and there, then stick to calorie-free beverages.
- Treat sweets like treats – enjoy sometimes, not always!
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition.