Everything about this recipe is perfect. The blueberries add just the right amount of sweetness without overpowering the dish in something that borders as a dessert. Nope, it’s perfect. Another wonderful side effect of blueberries is the “juiciness” they bring to a dish like this. All to often, chicken salad often ends up in one of two categories; either very, very dry because chicken tends to do that. The other end of the spectrum is a chicken salad that’s drowning in mayo. If you’re watching your calories, this option is a usually a “no-no”.
Personally, I don’t like to leave out the mayo altogether. Usually, an even swap for greek yogurt is the norm for health nuts, but I love the taste mayo brings to a dish. Luckily, a little bit of mayonnaise goes a long way in the flavor department, so 1 tbsp usually does the trick.
Another prerequisite to making the perfect chicken salad is a little bit o’ crunch. In this case, toasted pecans baked at 350° for 6-10 minutes, is just enough time to release those natural nutty oils. I also add some chopped celery. Although it doesn’t provide add much in the flavor department, celery gives chicken salad a wonderful crunch, while keeping the dish juicy, as well.
If you’re looking for a versatile lunch option, this healthy blueberry chicken salad is a great choice that can be served on nearly anything… lettuce leaves, crackers, whole grain bread, or even all by itself.
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cooled & diced
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Combine the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt and poppy seeds in a small bowl and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, toss in the chicken, celery, red onion,blueberries and pecans. Pour the poppy seed dressing on top and toss gently to coat.
- For best results, refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend together.
- Serve on butter lettuce, crackers or wholegrain bread