These delicious chocolate brownies are sweetened only using dried fruit, so contain no added sugar or gut-irritating ingredients. They are also gluten-free and can be made dairy free by substituting butter for coconut oil.
1 cup chopped dates
½ cup chopped prunes
½ cup dark chocolate
½ cup butter (or coconut oil)
½ cup cocoa powder
¼ coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1. Place the dates and the prunes into a bowl and cover with boiling water, leaving to soak for 1 hour to soften.
2. Preheat the over to 300F, and grease and line a brownie tin or a square ovenproof dish (an 8-inch pan works well with this recipe) with parchment paper.
3. Place the eggs, dates, prunes and the water they were soaking into a food processor or blender and blend well.
4. In a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt the dark chocolate and the butter or coconut oil. Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder and coconut flour, mixing to form a paste.
5. Add the chocolate mixture to the dates/egg mixture in the blender along with the baking soda and bicarbonate of soda. Blend until you have a smooth mixture.
6. Evenly add the mixture to the brownie tin then bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
7. Once cooked leave to cool then turn out onto a wire cooling rack. To serve cut into squares of desired shape and size.