MY NUMBER 1 TIP!
Go online and check out the menu ahead of time. Make your healthy choice then and stick to it! The delicious smells of the restaurant could hinder your choice making if you don’t already have a plan! If you cannot find an online menu – call the restaurant and ask them about daily specials and healthy options they offer.
I know it can be hard staying on target with your diet if you’re eating at restaurants while traveling or having dinner with friends. Restaurant menus are full of temptation and some dishes are loaded with 1000s of calories.
Here are a few tips to help you make the right eating choices:
• Only look at the sections of the menu you know are safe to order from, meaning the salads and lean cuts of protein.
• Order your meal how you want. Don’t worry about offending anyone. It’s your body, and you’re paying for the privilege.
• Avoid dishes with rich-sounding descriptions like buttery, creamy, breaded, fried or pan-fried. Look for dishes that are grilled, baked, steamed, roasted, stir-fried or blackened.
• Chose colorful veggies as your side items over starchy ones. And ask for them steamed with no oil, butter or sauces.
• Pass on the bread. Is it really necessary?
• Always ask for dressings and sauces on the side and add them sparingly.
• Most restaurant dishes come with large portions. Plan on having leftovers to take with you.
Enjoy a drink… in moderation
Dining out can be full of traps for anyone trying to make healthier eating choices, but it gets worse with alcohol. Alcohol has zero nutritional value and is loaded with calories. It also can create a vicious cycle of dehydration and weaken your willpower to stick to healthier foods. It’s OK to have the occasional drink, but set a limit and make it a rule to have a non-alcoholic, sugar-free drink between every glass. I’m not saying not to enjoy yourself. Just remember, everything in moderation.
Susy Sedano is a Content Producer at Digital Wellness, a fitness enthusiast and an avid cook of healthy meals. She prides herself on creating healthy dishes for family and friends, and is always on the hunt for new workouts and recipes! Despite her hectic non-stop work and fitness schedules, she is a “girl’s girl” and a student of life!
Want more from me? Find me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.