If you’ve been following our semi-regular segment on Hardcore Weight Loss Tips (#1, #2, #3, #4), then you know we’re showing you the other type of tips that help you lose weight. You know… other than eating healthy and getting exercise. Here’s tip #5.
#5. Make life more inconvenient
Yes, we said “inconvenient”, as in… not as easy. If you really think about it, we’re constantly doing things and buying things to make our life more convenient, but in the end, isn’t it just making us more lazy and less active?
There’s nothing convenient about the treadmill or strength training, they’re pointless activities we do because life has become too convenient and we’re not getting enough exercise by just living our life. Being healthy and losing weight are about the least convenient things you could do nowadays.
To show you want I mean, here’s a few times when I’ve chosen convenience over my health…
- Binge-watching the latest season of Orange is the New Black on Netflix.
- Picked up dinner at the nearest fast-food chain on my way home from work.
- Drive 2-blocks to the grocery store when I could have walked.
- Pay someone to mow my lawn when I could have done it myself.
And these are just the obvious ones! All these little convenient things we do use to burn calories, but not any longer, so we’re forced to compensate in other ways, like going to the gym or running.
Here’s a couple simple ideas to help you get started making your life a bit more inconvenient…
- Intentionally park your car further away from a store… like really far.
- Skip the elevator and take the stairs
- Use a hand basket when grocery shopping, instead of a cart)
- Mow your own lawn – better yet, sell your powered-mower for a push-mower
- Buy only whole foods (No easy to cook, easy to eat food)
- Volunteer your time
- Offer to baby sit or walk a neighbors dog
All of these things burn more calories than their more convenient counterparts and these are just a few of the simple things we can all do every day that make our life just a little more inconvenient.