Strengthening your core can help reduce fatigue and save your spine. Not to mention, it also helps you improve your abs and build a leaner body.
Need to improve your core strength? Well, you’ve come to the right place! Focusing on strength training and exercises can be hard when getting started. Your core muscles are crucial for a lean and athletic build. However, these muscles also play a vital role in developing your overall body strength. We have the perfect set of effective standing ab exercises to help build a stronger and healthier body.
- 6 Best Cable Machine Abs Workouts
- The Relationship between Diet & Exercise
- The Relationship between Diet & Exercise
Why Should You Strengthen Your Core Muscles?
Your core is your main support system. From walking to running and lifting, everything involves your core muscles. Strengthening them can develop your stamina and reduce fatigue. That is why having a reliable set of effective standing ab exercises can help reduce the load exerted on your spine and save your body from injuries. A healthy diet and a good workout can strengthen those abs.
Standing ab excercises can prove to be very effective. It engages areas of the obliques and the lower abs, without having to get down on the floor. Get those abs lit and burning fat!
Warm-Up Exercises to do Before Standing Ab Exercises
Before you get into the core of your workout, it is always wiser to warm up with a few simple stretches, like:
- The side stretch
- Hip rotation
- Body fold
- Back arch
- Body hinge
- Stand with feet slightly spaced apart, and stretch your right arm to your left side above your head.
- Let your side arch along with your arm.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. With your arms at your hips rotate your hip clockwise.
- You can slowly increase the circumference of your circles as your body loosens.
- After a few rotations, you can repeat the exercise in the counterclockwise direction.
- Begin with your feet spaced slightly apart, and bend over with your head to your knees and hands to the ground. Try to keep your legs as straight as possible.
- Remember to exhale as you bend over and inhale as you return to a standing position.
- Space your feet shoulder-width apart. Slightly bend over at the waist with your hands on your knees. Now, as you inhale, arch your back upward and lower your head down.
- As you exhale, arch it inward, with your stomach sinking down and your head stretched upward.
- Stand with your feet spaced apart and hands on your hips. Inhale as you bend over, hinged at the waist. Be cautious not to hunch your back but keep your back straight as you bend.
- Keep your neck and shoulders neutral. You can stretch until you feel a slight pull at your hamstrings. Exhale as you return to a standing position.
5 Best Standing Ab Exercises for Fast and Effective Results
- Standing criss cross crunches
- Squat crunches
- Lunge crunch and twist
- Standing leg lift
- Cross-body leg lift
1. Standing Criss Cross Crunches
How to do Criss Cross Crunches
- Step 1: This exercise is great to engage the abs, obliques, and hip flexors. This loosens the muscles and reduces any muscle stress or soreness.
- Step 2: Stand with your feet spaced shoulder-width apart and with your hands bent behind your head
- Step 3: Rise your right knee as high as possible and tilt your torso to the side so that your knee is touching your left elbow
- Step 4: Repeat the same on the opposite side as well
While doing the exercise remember to keep your neck relaxed and your back erect, and engage your core muscles. Breathe evenly as you make smooth and steady movements. These crunches are one of the best standing ab exercises to do.
2. Squat Crunches
Squat crunches is one of the most effective standing ab exercises that helps develop powerful core and leg muscles. They engage your obliques, quads, hamstring, and glutes.
How to do Squat Crunches
- Step 1: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Step 2: Bend your hands to the sides of your head, with your fingers behind your ears.
- Step 3: Slowly squat down until your body is at a 45-degree angle, with your thighs parallel to the floor.
- Step 4: Now, tighten your core as you twist your body to the right bringing your left elbow to touch the opposite knee
- Step 5: Now, do this with the opposite knee and elbow in the same squat position.
3. Crunch and Twist
Lunges help strengthen your core and reduces the load on your spine. It greatly improves your overall body posture and motion.
How to do Crunch Twist
- Step 1: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Bend your arms behind your head.
- Step 2: Tighten your core as you draw your right knee toward your chest. Simultaneously, bring your raised arm down to your right side.
- Step 3: Now, stretch back your leg to its original position behind you and raise your arm back up.
- Step 4: Repeat a few sets before switching to the opposite leg and arm.
4. Standing Leg Lift
The standing leg lift is a comparatively less complicated exercise, but it gives equally effective results. It helps in reducing belly fat and building strong abs and obliques.
How to do Standing Leg Lifts
- Start with your feet spaced shoulder-width apart.
- Place your hands at the back of your head. You can also keep them extended in front of you.
- Tightening your lower abdominals, lift your leg to hip height.
- Lower your leg back down and repeat with the other leg. Don’t forget to breathe evenly throughout the exercise.
5. Cross Body Leg Lift
Leg lifts not only tone your stomach muscles but also help improve your overall stability and body flexibility.
- Stand erect with your feet spaced shoulder-width apart, and extend your left hand straight above you.
- Engage your core as you lift your right leg to your hip. Simultaneously, bring your left hand down to the lifted leg and reach for your toes.
Keep your spine erect and your chin up. Try not to bend your knees as you keep your leg straight and stretched out. At the same time, do not strain your body. In all these exercises you must be able to recognize the fine line between what will challenge your body, and what will cause unwanted strain.
Return to the original position and switch sides. Continue with about 20 repetitions in total.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are standing ab exercises effective?
Standing ab exercises also help with strengthening other parts of your body. It can easily be considered a full-body workout. Your hips become more flexible, and it helps develop more agile functional ranges of motion. By performing these exercises while standing, you also gain better stability and body balance.
Can I do ab workouts every day?
No, you shouldn’t! Your stomach muscles need adequate rest. If you fail to provide it the proper recovery time it can lead to postural problems and also muscle imbalances. Track your workouts and be sure not to overdo them. You can work out your abs 2 to 3 times a week, which is sufficient for your body.
What is the most effective ab workout?
The bicycle crunch has been proclaimed the most effective ab workout. It effectively strengthens your obliques, and upper and lower abs and engages the rectus abdominis. It can help slim your waist and tone your stomach muscles. It also helps improve your coordination and agility since you use your legs for the exercise.
What diet should you follow for abs?
Try to avoid sugary foods or drinks. This can increase body fat and delay your ab results.
Avoid fried food, high in calories, alcohol, and trans fats. Dairy products, like cheese, cream, and milk are good nutrients to help build muscle. Besides them, chicken, fish, meat, and vegetarian proteins, like tofu is good for your body and do not stand in the way of your dream abs!