The practice of yoga has exploded in the past decade and is more mainstream than ever. Many people are first drawn to yoga as a way to keep their bodies fit and supple. Others come seeking relief or help for a specific ailment like tension or backache. Whatever your reason, yoga can be a tool for improving your body and mind. Though the practice of Yoga is closely associated to ancient texts, beliefs, and values, it also yields benefits useful for daily life. Here are our top 5 reasons why you should give yoga a try:
- Yoga relaxes the body and the mind. Even in the midst of stressful environments, yoga helps control breathing and clears the mind of cluttered thoughts, leaving only deep physical and mental refreshment.
- Yoga can help normalize body weight. For people who are either overweight or underweight, yoga exercises can help achieve the desired weight. The principles of balance and moderation in physical activity and diet under yoga can lead to a healthier lifestyle overall.
- Yoga improves your resistance to disease. The postures and movements in yoga massage the internal organs, enhancing blood circulation and functionality, thus, lessening the risk of illness.
- Yoga increases your energy level and productivity. In as few as 20 minutes, yoga can replenish the mind and body with precious energy needed to respond to daily tasks and challenges.
- Yoga leads to genuine inner contentment and self-actualization. Meditation -one of the aspects of yoga- focuses the mind, taking it away from the distractions of the highly-materialistic world and leading it to genuine happiness.
Convinced? We hope so! Yoga might be a great supplement to your current fitness routine. Go on, give it a try!
Already a hardcore yogi? Let us know what you love about yoga!