After doing some research on the best (and worst) protein bars out there, I eventually came to the realization that it’s pretty expensive to regularly buy protein bars… so, with a little help from Anna Sward (creator & founder of ProteinPow) I have found one to make at home. These quickly became one of my favorite protein bar recipes that can be made in just a couple of minutes and for a fraction of the cost of store-bought brands.
- 1 cup (gluten-free or regular) oats
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/4 cup vanilla pea protein, rice protein or casein protein powder
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 tablespoon coffee extra or essence (optional but lovely)
- 1/2 tablespoon toffee flavor drops (or your sweetener of choice – I used stevia)
- 1/2 cup freshly-brewed coffee
1. Make your coffee and add 1/2 cup of it to the rest of the ingredients.
2. Mix it all with a spoon until you get a thick and sticky dough.
3. Press this dough onto a baking tray lined with baking paper or onto a silicone tray like I did.
4. Put it in the freezer for 30 minutes, slice, and munch! Or wrap in some baking paper or tinfoil to carry with you and eat later!
*Optional: Melt some dark chocolate and evenly spread over the tops of the bars for a more mocha inspired version.
Trust me, I fell in love with these at first bite and have only Anna Sward to thank for such a simple, original, and delicious recipe!