Frustrated with the little sack of fat sitting behind your calves? Want to be able to wear what you want with confidence? You’ve come to the right place to sculpt your body into shape! Here are our top 8 Tips on how to slim calves.
- The Relationship between Diet & Exercise
- How to Get Killer Calves!
- 6 Best HIIT Leg and Glute Workout for Maximum Results
Why Are My Calf Muscles Important?
Your calf size can vary based on genetics, muscle mass, or the fat distribution ratio in your body. Generally speaking however, calf muscles are important for most leg movement.
Only a few pay attention to the calf muscles as much as they focus on other muscle groups like the biceps or the thighs. You need healthy calf muscles even just to stand. This is why people need to be educated on why and how to slim calves. By working out your calf muscles your legs become more agile, can run for longer distances, and can jump higher.
They give your legs the strength to go forward and absorb the impact of your steps. With such an important role, they must be looked after well, don’t you think! So, while you work on sliming your calves, also focus on making them stronger to support your body and to keep you standing tall! Before we get into our tips on how to slim calves let’s learn about the muscles that make up your calf.
The Muscles That Make Up Your Calves
Your calves are mainly made up of two muscles:
The gastrocnemius is a larger muscle that is two headed. In helps in flexing your knees as you walk.
The soleus is a powerful leg muscle situated deep within the gastrocnemius. It is a major postural muscle that keeps the body from falling over at the ankle.
It is called the second heart of the human body because it acts as the reservoir of blood that the heart does not need to pump and circulate at present. These muscles must be engaged in your daily exercises to slim your calves.
8 Exercise Tips On How To Slim Calves
If you’ve been in search of effective exercise tips on how to slim calves, you’ve come to the right place! Here are a few calf workouts that can work miracles!
- Ankle Hops
- Mountain Climbers
- Calf Lifts
- Leg Press
- Basketball Shots
- Jump Rope
- Inverted Plank
- Spot Jog
1. Ankle Hops
Ankle hop is one of the best exercises for all those who are in search of an easy tip on how to slim calves. Ankle jobs help strengthen calf muscles and your heart! It boosts your agility and coordination as well.
How to do Ankle Hops
- Step 1: Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Your hands must hang loosely by your sides.
- Step 2: Now, push off the floor with your ankles and bounce with quick repetitive movements.
- Step 3: This exercise can be repeated for about 45 seconds.
2. Mountain Climbers
This exercise can easily be considered a full body workout. It engages your arms, shoulders, core, and legs! The increased heart rate also helps to burn calories. It is one of the most effective exercises to do if you are wondering how to slim calves.
How to do Mountain Climbers
- Step 1: Get down in plank position and distribute your weight evenly to both your hands and toes.
- Step 2: Be conscious of your form. Your hands must be spaced shoulder-width apart.
- Step 3: Shifting your weight to your arms and right leg, pull you left leg toward your chest, as far as possible.
- Step 4: Now, stretch your left leg out and bring your right leg in. Repeat this motion with alternating legs.
- Step 5: Quickly switch between legs and remember to inhale and exhale with every switch.
3. Calf Lifts
How to do Calf Lifts
- Step 1: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and with your torso erect. Let your arms stay extended at your sides and keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Step 2: Put your weight onto the balls of your feet. Now raise the heels of your feet from the floor and squeeze your calves.
- Step 3: Hold your heels above the ground for a brief moment.
- Step 4: Lower your heels slowly and repeat.
- Step 5: You can also try this while holding a weight in your hand. You can use dumbbells, kettlebells, or barbells.
4. Leg Press
One among the most powerful exercises to slim calves is the leg press exercise.
How to do Leg Press
- Step 1: Lie down facing the ceiling with your hips and knees bent at a 90 degree angle.
- Step 2: With your arms extended, place your palms on your bent thighs.
- Step 3: Inhale, and as you breath out, bring your knee closer to your chest. Hug and hold them there with your hands.
- Step 4: Hold them for one count before releasing.
5. Basketball Shots
Image Credits: Meghan Kennihan/Youtube
This is a very effective exercise that engages your calves, lower back muscles, hamstrings, and shoulders. It boosts the body’s metabolism and enhances your stamina and endurance level.
How to do Basketball Shots
- Step 1: Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart.
- Step 2: Bend your knees with your hips pressed back in an almost semi squat position. Hold your hands as if you are holding a basketball, and bring them close to your right foot.
- Step 3: Now, jump up and extend your hands above your head to your left side, as if you were shooting for the net. Land back softly on the balls of your feet
- Step 4: Return to the intial squat position and repeat the exercise.
6. Jump Rope
This exercise engages the legs, abs, glutes, and back and is one of the most common answers for how to slim calves.
How to do Jump Rope
- Step 1: Hold the jump rope at hip level.
- Step 2: Only rotate your wrists to get the rope spinning.
- Step 3: Jump with both feet at the same time, or one foot at a time and alternating between legs.
Keep your upper body erect and your knees slightly bent and jump with the balls of your feet. Remember to maintain even breathing while doing the exercise. Remember to not over exert. Start slowly and increase the intensity of your jumps as you go.
7. Inverted Plank
The inverted plank engages and strengthens the calves, thighs, glutes, and core.
How to do Inverted Plank
- Step 1: Start in a plank position with your body straight, your arms bent under you and supporting your body. Keep your feet hip-width apart.
- Step 2: Press your weight down on your arms and lift your hips upward towards the ceiling.
- Step 3: Return slowly to the initial position and repeat the exercise.
Breathe out as you lift your hips upward and inhale as you bring your hip back down to the plank position.
8. Spot Jog
This is a great exercise to improve agility and speed. It is a great workout for your lower body. It also increases your heart rate and proves to be a great cardio workout.
How to do Spot Jogs
- Step 1: Start with your feet spaced shoulder-width apart. Keep your hip low and your body slightly leaning forward.
- Step 2: Now, placing your weight on the balls of your feet, quickly run in place.
Keep your core tight and your back neutral. Remember to maintain a steady rhythm of breathing while doing the workout.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is having bigger calves a disadvantage?
It does not propose any great threat, but according to various studies having greater weight in your legs can slow you down and affect running speed.
What are everyday, natural exercises that can help tone my calves?
Hitting the gym everyday may not be everyone’s cup of tea. Other natural exercises, like walking, running, swimming, hiking, and other sports that involve running are very effective in toning calf muscles.
Cycling is the best known exercise to strengthen leg joints and lose fat in your calves and thighs.
Do squats help to tone calf muscles?
Squats is one of the most powerful exercises to slim calves because it targets multiple muscle groups. Most workout routines have combinations of squats and other body movements. While it mainly targets your glutes and quads, it also engages your hamstrings and calves.
What Causes Cankles?
Cankles describes a swollen ankle where the flesh around it merges with that of the calf. Cankles can be caused due to excess subcutaneous fat stored around the ankle, and in the lower calf. It can also be due to large bones and muscles. These swellings can even be caused due to problems in the heart or the kidney.
Can excercises reduce cankles?
There are various surgical procedures that can be done to reduce cankles, but by simply following a healthy diet and incorporating a few calf workouts, you can bring changes to your calf and ankles.