Toasted sprouted grain bread is slathered with hummus and homemade sun-dried tomato hemp pesto all topped off with sliced avocado, tomato, and red pepper flakes. This is one vegan sandwich that you won’t soon forget! Add some lettuce for a nice crunch. This would also be fantastic in a wrap if you don’t want to use toasted bread. For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free bread (or wrap) or try serving it wrapped in Bibb lettuce for a grain-free option. Amazing idea for breakfast and also other times of the day when you are in the mood. Another great vegan inspiration!
Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
- For the Sun-dried Tomato Hemp Basil Pesto: (makes 1/2 cup)
- -1 large garlic clove
- -1 cup fresh basil leaves
- -1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (about 6)
- -1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- -2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- -2 tablespoons water
- -1-2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- -1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- -Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the sandwich
- -sprouted-grain bread (or wraps or Bibb lettuce)
- -2 tablespoons hummus
- -2 tablespoons Sun-dried Tomato Hemp Basil Pesto (from above)
- -1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- -1-2 thin tomato slices
- -pinch of red pepper flakes
- -pinch of salt & pepper
For the pesto
- Mince garlic in a food processor. Add the rest of the pesto ingredients and process until the pesto is smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Toast the bread in a toaster.
- Spread bread with hummus and pesto (one on each). Layer on the avocado, tomato, and lettuce. Sprinkle on red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Slice in half and enjoy!
Eat Fit Fuel https://eatfitfuel.com/